Insulated plasterboard on external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, long time reader and first time poster so apologies in advance if I've put this in the wrong section or I ask any stupid questions!

We're in the process of renovating a 1930s house and the next step is replastering. The external walls have all been taken back to bare brick and from the advice I've read on here I'm thinking of using Celotex PL4000 (dot dab application).

My question is more about the installation really to make sure I have a proper seal and don't leave any future problems with condensation with gaps in the VCL.

So my queries are:

1) Do I butt the PL4000 tight to the ceiling and adjoining (already plastered) internal walls? How much of a gap should I have from the floor below?
2) What tape would be best to use on the joints between the boards and can this also be used to seal the gap at the bottom to the floorboards?
3) When putting this on a ground floor do I need to make any considerations regarding the DPM?
4) I have one plug socket already fitted, am I OK to just cut a hole in the PL4000 around this or does this socket need to sit inside the VCL to avoid any condensation or bridging issues?

Thanks for any help in advance :D

Sponsored Links
Standard specification is to seal all edges with a continuous fillet of adhesive. In practice the amount of vapour that will penetrate the joints is minimal and I have never experienced this being a problem. So I would do the best job of sealing you can without over worrying about it. Use a standard nylon scrim tape on the joints before plastering.

We're in the process of renovating a 1930s house

Is it cavity wall? I which case interstitial condensation may well occur within the cavity.

I have just dot n dab PL4000'd my brick cavity walled house. Boards run up to ceiling and an inch gap at the bottom, I've expanding foam'd before adding skirtings. My sockets are cut out which is a little concerning as the metal boxes may well be the coldest things in the room and liable to condensation.

THink insulation, think condensation, think ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back