Insulating 10mm pipe

Kes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have about 50' of 10mm c/h naked copper pipework in the cellar which should be insulated. I can't see any 10mm foam stuff in B&Q (and the rolls of felt seem to be long gone). Does everyone use the 15mm foam insulation? I have seen 10mm insulation in long lengths advertised on ebay, as used on fridges, is this any good (can't remember the name at the mo, something like Armourflex)?

Rgds.

Sponsored Links
Armaflex.....must have a website ;) they do from 10mm to massive sheets of the stuff for calorifiers etc.

(and the rolls of felt seem to be long gone).
The felt is about as good as the naked pipes, as you put it! Plus its a fire hazard. Set light to a few metres of it outside to see what I mean.

If the pipes are close together I would use single 22mm and wrap that over both pipes.

Sponsored Links
I remember reading some time ago that, in some cases, insulation is worse than no insulation. This is because the addition of the insulation increases the surface area exposed to the air so much that more heat is lost from the surface of the insulation than would be lost from the surface of the uninsulated pipe.

Maybe that is why Knauff (Crown Insulation) do not manufacture insulation for 10mm pipes and none of the DIY sheds sell it.

Don't forget that insulating aircon pipes is for a completely different purpose.

I remember reading some time ago that, in some cases, insulation is worse than no insulation. This is because the addition of the insulation increases the surface area exposed to the air so much that more heat is lost from the surface of the insulation than would be lost from the surface of the uninsulated pipe..

That sounds like something that would be published in the DIY column of the Saturday Telegraph.

That's the stuff, cheers. It's a pity the postage is more than the insulation, though.

Rgds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back