insulating a ceiling with a curve and slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have a ceiling in a bedroom that I want to insulate. The room gets very cold and I think that the heat is escaping through an uninsulated part of the ceiling.
The loft space above the bedroom extends to approx half the width of the room below and then the slope extends into the bedroom. This half is insulated but I cannot get to the sloped area without taking the tiles off on the outside.
So I was wondering if I could insulate this area from the insdie by building a kind of false ceiling within the room.
For this I was think of running some batons along the room, filling the voids with polysterene and then covering with a thin layer of ply wood.
The reason for the thin layer of wood is that it would need to be flexible as the transition area between the flat section of the ceiling and the slope is curved.
Would this work as a thermal barrier and is there an easier way?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
have a ceiling in a bedroom that I want to insulate. The room gets very cold and I think that the heat is escaping through an uninsulated part of the ceiling. Very likely

The loft space above the bedroom extends to approx half the width of the room below and then the slope extends into the bedroom. This half is insulated but I cannot get to the sloped area without taking the tiles off on the outside.
So I was wondering if I could insulate this area from the insdie by building a kind of false ceiling within the room. Yes, may not look great depending on skill re slope/vault etc

For this I was think of running some batons along the room, filling the voids with polysterene and then covering with a thin layer of ply wood.
The reason for the thin layer of wood is that it would need to be flexible as the transition area between the flat section of the ceiling and the slope is curved.
Would this work as a thermal barrier and is there an easier way?

As you describe it , it will work, although you should put a sheet of polythene film between the plywood nd the insulation to prevent moisture passing through and condensing.

The problem is , you describe it in a "Blue Peter fashion ( does it still exist ?) i.e. I do this and then I do that , as if there were never any difficulties.

If the curvature and area of the vaulting is such that you can bend the plywood and fix it to the vaulting whilst fighting the resistance of the ply , then o.k. but you also need to be able to fix the battens ( sic) to the curvature of the vault which will be bloody difificult.

thanks for the reply mountain walker,
i was thinking of running the battens parallel to the curve so would not have to make them fit as such.
I hadn't thought about moisture but will start looking for some polythene sheets.
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Better off knocking a couple of holes in the lath ceiling between the joists/rafters and getting access that way. Then patching with plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back