Insulation on a partially sloped ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our rooms upstairs they all have partially sloped ceilings, between the inside and the roof tiles there is no insulation so is really hard to get the house warm and we do find we get a lot of moisture in the rooms upstairs due to the cold.

I am looking at ways to implement insulation onto these areas to improve the efficiency and warmth in the house. Looking for some advice as I’m not sure on a lot of the general dos and don’ts.

I have two options I can think of, one being install insulated plasterboard to the ceiling and re skim where the slope is to insulate this.

Or the other would be to put insulation boards between the roof tiles and the ceiling, there is approximately a 60/70mm gap between the two, so not sure if it is feasible to install it here, and also it would be quite difficult to access.

My question is, are either of these methods suitable, and or is there something better I could do?

Thanks in advanced.

Sponsored Links
I wasn’t taking the roof off, so there is nothing frowned upon doing this method? It would allow for thicker insulation to be installed.

I have used vermiculite poured in from above before but you also have to make sure the bottom is not open or it leaks out. Some may say this method is bad as it stops air circulation but I had no problems in the 10+ years I remained in the house after doing it.

Sponsored Links
Do both if possible , loose lay insulation is available which can be poked into small gaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back