Airtec double foil insulation above ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Airtec Double foil insulation is recommended for cavity walls and sloping roof...
Has anyone tried it this particular type of insulation just above the ceiling?
I thought of combining the reflective property of foil insulation with the rockwool or fibreglass insulation - in particular I'm thinking of installing Airtec insulation just above the ceiling plasterboard (leaving a 25mm gap) and then fibreglass insulation (with another 25mm gap above the Airtec foil).
This way I'm combining the reflective properties of the Airtec Double foil with the insulating properties of fibreglass.
To avoid condensation I might also need to install another layer of foil (or a membrane) above the fibreglass...or maybe partially insulating the sloping roof?

Has anyone already tried something similar?

Else, should I go for the traditional method of simply install rockwool above the ceiling and the Airtec foil on the sloping roofs?

Sponsored Links
Else, should I go for the traditional method of simply install rockwool above the ceiling

Do that. Save money and time in not messing about creating the air-gaps.

and the Airtec foil on the sloping roofs?

There is no point in insulating the roof with anything after insulating the ceiling unless you intend to work/live/play in the loft.

I expect to create a studio loft room, so it is useful to do a bit of insulation there too. Such loft space doesn't need to be that warm - it will be used occasionally and during the daytime.
The other reason for splitting the insulation in 2 areas (sloping roof and ceiling) is to "spread" certain side effect of the insulation i.e. condensation...
I might be wrong but I've read a bit about "dew point" and condensation and maybe it is better to avoid highly contrasting cold/warm transitions
Having the insulation splitted would give us 3 temperature areas:
(1) very cold air outside v (2) coldish air in the loft v (3) warm air inside the house. Shouldn't this solution be better than having only 2 very contrasting spaces? e.g. (1) very cold air outside v (2) warm air in the loft? (in case the insulation is done completely in the sloping roof).

Yes, I like experimenting a bit...better still to check if something like this has already been done.

Numerous posts why pointless to insulate both - check them out. Search.

I think you need to read more about de-point. Temperature difference is one major part,however the other is humidity and hence using a vapour barrier is essential.

Sponsored Links
If the vapour barrier has to be installed on the warm side of the insulation - then it make sense to use aluminium foil just above the ceiling? (and of course just below the insulation)...I'm assuming that the Airtec double can cover the function of a Vapour Barrier membrane...only it reflect radiant heat as well something common insulation can't perform.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back