Loft insulation in old house with partially sloping/vaulted ceiling

If the cellotex is well fitted down into the rafters, then there won't be too much condensation coming up, and if there is a sufficient air gap, then it should rise into the general loft area before settling. Juts keep an eye on things, as the danger is that the moisture will condense, run down the cellotex to the bottom, so yes, holes drilled in the wall just under the tiles may well be needed.

Sponsored Links
Hi, resurrecting this thread as I have a similar issue, I have vaulted/sloping ceilings, the walls in the rooms get to the 6ft height and then there is a slope, total ceiling height is about 2.5m, but the slope comes about 2ft into the room. The roof only has 70x50mm rafters and we use the loft for storage, it's currently boarded out with some mineral wool insulation, only about 100mm deep in the floor of the loft. There is no space to insulate between rafters and the ridge height from the floor of the loft is around 146cms. I am thinking of insulating under rafter with soemthing like YBS superquilt as I need storage space so head height is a premium and the tiles have a soft of black bitumen type lining under them.

Any better ideas as at this stage anything is better than nothing.

I'm a DIYer so noddy terms please if getting technical. Thanks,

Sponsored Links
One more point - half way down the rafters there is a bean that goes along the length of the loft horizontally each side which supports the rafters, they just lean on it, so I would need to wrap that beam to create a continuous barrier, or something else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back