Insulating a garage ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an integral garage with a small bedroom (used as a study) above it that gets bitterly cold and I'm looking at ways of insulating. Ripping up floor-boards and stuffing between the rafters might be a longer term solution, but for quickness I'm looking at sticking thermal board to the underside of the garage ceiling. It doesn't really matter (too much) what it looks like, though in time, I might want to plasterboard and paint. Does anyone have any thoughts on what's the best board and method of attachment?

Sponsored Links
Re: What is on the garage ceiling? plasterboard?

Yes, just skimmed plasterboard.

You would only need to remove a couple of boards and then loose lay insulation could be pushed in from above.

Sponsored Links
Re: You would only need to remove a couple of boards and then loose lay insulation could be pushed in from above.

Thanks foxhole. Are you saying it would be easier or more efficient to loose lay from above? My point is that the room above is kitted out as a home-office and it would be very disruptive to pull up carpet etc. Joists run at right-angles to the length of the room, and boards would need to be lifted down the centre of the room. If you're saying loose lay between joists is the most efficient answer, that may be the way I have to go. I was hoping an easier option would be to attach/stick thermal boards to the underside of the ceiling below.

Why down the centre?

If you can lift a board at each end/side of the room then you can lay insulation between them.

OR:

In the garage, you could cut away a strip of the plasterboard ate each end to allow you to pull through the covered insulation (spaceblanket etc).

Either way - you need access to the space between the floorboards and the plasterboard - its upto you to decide which one is best.

Some furniture moving or some replastering?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back