What to use for garage ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question and apologies for a bit of brain dumping.

I have a pitched roof over my garage so I would like to board the roof space out to use for storage of smaller items that usually clutter my garage up, but because I use the garage for training during winter, I'd also like to insulate between the joists too so I'm thinking I'm probably better off boarding the ceiling first but I'm not sure what material to use for best cost efficiency.

Which wood is cheapest? Chipboard, Ply, OSB? Any other suggestions? I wouldn't skim it so I don't see much point using plasterboard, but then I'd just put some rockwool between the joists and then put some boards down on top for storage.

Which then leads me on to think that it might be easier to cut all the loft boards first while there's no ceiling and just leave them piled up in the roof space until I've done the ceiling and insulation.

Any advice or suggestions?

Cheers all!

Kristian

Sponsored Links
I used ply for both ceiling and floor in the 'loft' of my garage with a coat of fire proofing for good measure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back