Garage ceiling and insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all not posted in a while so apologies

Moved into a new build with a separate garage
Wife has a heat pump dryer we plan on using.in the garage but it's cold in the winter so will run a small heater when it's in use

I have placed a rubber floor over the concrete and boarded the walls with insulation the 9mm ply as well as insulated the garage door

Onto the roof and there is a big void above so plan on boarding this with 4mm ply painted white attached to the underside of the joists 88x38 mainly
Should I put space blanket on top of the joists or cut insulation and lay it in between the joists

Just concerned that once it's boarded I won't be able to see the joists anymore so don't want to lock moisture between insulation and timber joists

Picture of roof before the walls were boarded
PXL_20211227_184630097.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20211227_184751845.jpg
    PXL_20211227_184751845.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20211227_184639307.jpg
    PXL_20211227_184639307.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
Wife has a heat pump dryer we plan on using.in the garage but it's cold in the winter so will run a small heater when it's in use
I found out the hard way that heat pump dryers don’t work in cold outbuildings. I ended up giving it away and just getting a basic one - it’s only ever used to dry towels or jeans in wet/cold weather anyway. I thought the advantage of a heat pump dryer was that they used less power than a standard one. Surely that advantage is negated if you've got to run a heater when it’s in use?

I found out the hard way that heat pump dryers don’t work in cold outbuildings. I ended up giving it away and just getting a basic one - it’s only ever used to dry towels or jeans in wet/cold weather anyway. I thought the advantage of a heat pump dryer was that they used less power than a standard one. Surely that advantage is negated if you've got to run a heater when it’s in use?
Also want to try and warm it up for general use if I need to get away from the wife

Sponsored Links
Vent the space above to get air blowing through.
Kingspan between joists
Stick 25mm kingspan to 8x4 plasterboard (cheaper than buying) and hire board lifter for a day and fit over entire ceiling. Moisture cant get past the foil on kingspan.
Tape joints
Paint ceiling.
Buy a dehumidifier ( game changer) to dry laundry and also control house condensation or buy the cheapest vented tumble dryer you can find and vent it out the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back