Insulating a suspended wooden floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm renovating my front room (see my other posts) and I was recently under the crawlspace installing some electrics (1930's detached).

We've had one winter in the house and to be honest it was f****** cold. The front room is north facing and there are 5, large, airbricks for this room alone that supply air into the void beneath the floor. My oak floor simply lies on the joists and there is no other insulation stopping the cold air rising from the crawlspace.

Is there anything that can be done to insulate between the joists and still ensure the floor gets the required ventilation?

Sponsored Links
The air bricks are there to provide venting to the void, some would also escape up to help provide the air for an open coal fire. I presume you no longer have an open coal fire, so go ahead and insulate, and if your worried about venting the joists/floorboards once the insulation's in place, use a mineral insulation held in place from the underside with cheap garden neting stapled to the joist bottoms...pinenot :)

Thanks ill look into it. There's no longer an open fire but a wood burner is going to be installed next week (5kw). Do you know if it will make that much of a difference to insulate? It's quite a big and messy job and I'd like to know if its worth it before I start.

Sponsored Links
No not as far as the insulation goes, but I would check out the wood burner requirements. It should have a balanced flue which means it will draw its own air from outside and vent the exhaust gasses via the flue...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back