Insulating a vaulted ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting out my new extension, the next job is to insulate the vaulted ceilings in the porch and new kitchen. The rafters are 150mm x 50mm on 400mm centres.
I've been advised by one builder that I have to use 100mm celotex between the rafters, then use a fancy and expensive insulating blanket over the whole construction, and finish off with silver backed plasterboard. Another says he never uses the blanket and doesn't have any problems with Building Control.

I'd like to discuss it with the Building Control people, but not sure what to call these components, nor how to lead into the subject. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
You're referring to the multi-foil insulation products and they're a waste of time (and space).
Just put 100 board between the rafters, and finish off underneath
with 25 thick board (to reduce the pattern staining) and then normal plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
The most recent vaulted fella we built, featured 100mm celotex betwixt, with the option of multi-foil stapled beneath or 40mm celotex.

We opted for 40mm celotex then used 90mm drywall screws to fix the duplex boards.

Pattern staining or shadowing or cold bridging is when cold travels through a joist revealing itself as a discolouration on the ceiling where condensation has been occurring in line with the rafters or joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back