Insulating behind rooflight plasterboard boxing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We are in the middle of a garage conversion, and have a couple of velux-style windows in the roof.

The windows are about 1 m elevated above ceiling height, and consequently we have boxed in a triangular "shaft" with plasterboard to where the shaft meets the regular ceiling level.

The building inspection guys have suggested that, as the boxing exceeds the level of the normal fibre-glass loft insulation, there would be cold spots in the areas where there is no insulation. They have suggested batoning out behind the plasterboard boxing and fixing 100 mm Celotex.

Batoning out in the roof space seems a bit of a bind. Have any of you got any ideas?

I would have thought, with a bit of inginuity, the Celotex could be anchored without the need for more batoning? Or am I missing something?

denty.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dave.

The building inspectors just came last week. Seems they are happy with what we did.

In the end I decided to chance it and wrap normal fibre glass around, securing it with those nylon luggage straps and a couple of screws through to secure and keep tight the bands.

Easier than stud work - at least it is once the ceiling and insulation are in place. Had we known different before, probably stud work would be the way to go.

Thanks guys.

denty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back