Insulating between original ceiling and lowered ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house I bought has a lowered celing and there is a gap between the original and new ceiling of about a metre. Although the loft is insulated Im losing all my heat into the gap between the two. The lowered ceiling isnt insulated. Does anyone know If I can insulate the lowered ceiling? I can access the gap through the loft hatch on the lowered ceiling...any advice will be most appreciated...thanks

Sponsored Links
How do you know you are loosing heat to void , how is the hot air reaching it or is it not sealed?

@Yossari - I have a similar issue. What did you do? Stuff it with insulation? Does the space/ void need to be ventilated do you think?

I'd treat it the same way we do with suspended (false) ceilings in places like offices and insulate it with encapsulated mineral wool pads. The big problem, otherwise, is how the blazes do you get a roll or "batt" on insulation up there

Sponsored Links
Impossible to say without seeing the site, but I will say that when you put a suspended or false ceiling in you don't normally concern yourself with ventilation because the room's ventilation should be up to the task, and in any cas it is a sealed box in effect. I've never seen mould in a ceiling plenum when we've ripped them out duringshop or office refurbs, either

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back