Insulating between rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had a new roof (tiles + membrane) put on and now I'm looking at the easiest way to insulate it from the inside.

I've heard that putting Kingspan - or similar - between the rafters and ensuring that you leave an air gap between that and the membrane is one approach.
The plan is to then wood clad the rafters (looks better than plasterboard - unless there are any watch-outs?)

Has anyone done similar - and have any guidance or advice?

IMG-1481.jpg
IMG-1482.jpg
IMG-1483.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's fairly straightforward - 50m air gap, ventilation at top and bottom of roof (check that mineral wool isn't interfering at the eaves). Try to get at least 50mm celotex between (if the rafters are only 3" deepen them with a bit of timber), put another layer of celotex under, if it's not being done to building regs then another 50mm is reasonable and will allow you to fix your cladding without too much trouble. Foil tape the joints to form a vapour barrier. You could form a small ceiling in the apex and use mineral wool insulation above it - bit cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back