insulating cold kitchen wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My flat used to have a balcony which has since been made part of the kitchen. The wall is single brick and gets crazy amounts of condensation on it in winter.

Ideally I would like to put free standing shelves up against the wall but don't want to do this until I can reduce the amount of condensation and mould buildup.

What would people recommend to fix the issue? Currently the wall is painted with (what looks and feels like) bathroom paint. I've read people using polystyrene lining paper (e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Insulating-Polystyrene-Lining-Paper-Wallpaper/dp/B006UFLBIO) or adding internal boards (e.g. http://www.fermacell.co.uk/en/content/walls___ceilings_1214.php).

The problem walls all have double glazing so any solution would have to work with the windows.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Sponsored Links
No amount of polystyrene will heat a cold wall, it may reduce the cold coming through or stop the heat escaping slightly. The only thing that will stop condensation is the right amount of heat & ventilation. My guess would be that if you have no outside vented extractor above your cooker then you are fighting a losing battle

Thanks for the reply.

You are correct - I don't have a properly vented extractor fan.

None of the other walls have a condensation issue so if I can add enough thermal protection shouldn't I be able to minimise the problem to a level that doesn't cause condensation?

I doubt it, a friend with a similar problem( but in a bathroom) only managed to rectify it by replacing a single radiator with a double thus increasing the temp of the room & hence the problem wall. He tried several layers of this paper you refer to without success.

Sponsored Links
Adequate ventilation is only cure for mold and condensation problems.You need a permanently open vent and mechanical ventilation in a kitchen and bathroom.

Sorry to disagree with you Foxhole but no matter how much ventilation you have steam will always condense on a cold surface & the only way to stop it is to warm that surface. There is no way of venting steam off quickly enough.Fitting a cooker hood & extractor may help in this kitchen but I doubt it will completely cure the problem.

Sorry to disagree with you Foxhole but no matter how much ventilation you have steam will always condense on a cold surface & the only way to stop it is to warm that surface. There is no way of venting steam off quickly enough.Fitting a cooker hood & extractor may help in this kitchen but I doubt it will completely cure the problem.
Rubbish , impossible to heat the fabric of a building to that point and pointless , hot air holds far more moisture and increases the problem.
You remove the steam before in condenses , simple.Mould spores can only be removed with adequate ventilation.

Rubbish , impossible to heat the fabric of a building to that point and pointless , hot air holds far more moisture and increases the problem.
Then why is the op only having problems with one wall & not the other 3? If the condensation is prevented there is nothing for the mold spores to grow on.

Condensation is on the coldest surface, you can't heat brickwork to the point it's emliminated.Mold does not require condensation to grow.

Presumably the double glazed windows are fitted with trickle vents, taking that as said I personally would fit a humidistat fan to the kitchen and if necessary line the wall(s) with foam/foil insulation (normally a caravan product) of your choosing i.e. kill two birds with one stone so to speak...pinenot :)

Condensation is on the coldest surface, you can't heat brickwork to the point it's emliminated.Mold does not require condensation to grow.
Now you are talking rubbish, it won't grow in dry conditions! Any way I think we are just going have to agree to differ & let the op make up his/her own mind.

Now you are talking rubbish, it won't grow in dry conditions! Any way I think we are just going have to agree to differ & let the op make up his/her own mind.

Needs moisture, often caused by condensation :LOL:

Needs moisture, often caused by condensation :LOL:
You need to undersatnd my post before you reply.
I stated condensation is not required for mold, never mentioned dry conditions.
http://www.moldtips.com/whatis_grow.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back