Insulating floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have built a concrete floor in a new extension. It will be insulated with 100mm Celotex and then screeded with 75mm screed.

I haven't decided on the final finish floor tile so unable to work out the thickness that will needed exactly. To be on the safe side, I have allowed ca 65-75mm for final floor finishes after screed to do the following:

1) either use a really thick slab ca 45mm and bed it in sand cement to make up to the 65-75mm

2) or use insulation backed boards to make up the height, then u/f heating and a 12-15mm floor tile to make up the total of 65-75mm

If I go for option 2, it means the screed will be sandwiched between 2 layers of insulation - underneath with Celotex and over with insulation backed boards.

Is there a technical DIS-advantage of doing this? what problems may occur if I did this? (e.g. slow to heat, condensation etc)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I put the UFH pipework clipped straight on the insulation. Then screed over the top. 65mm poured or 75mm normal screed. Have been advised by a few UFH manufacturers to not go over 90mm depth of screed.

Obviously the thicker the solid mass you are heating the longer it takes to respond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back