Insulating garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, this type of thing has been answered before but the joists in my garage run side to side, as opposed to front to back so it leaves me with a slightly different problem.

My single garage is in a block of garages and is made up of a single skin of breeze blocks. It has a flat felt roof laid upon a bed of wooden boards. There is no insulation on either the walls or the ceiling. Basically I get condensation building up on the inside of the roof in cold weather which leads to some mould build up. I'd like to install some insulation boards between the joists so that the inside of the roof doesn't get so cold and therefore helps to limit condensation. My worry is that there won't be adequate ventilation between the insulation boards and the wooden boarded ceiling.

A few years ago I added vents to the front of the garage and a couple of air bricks into the back wall (see photos). This provides some ventilation in the garage but not enough air flow between the joists. The problem is the joists run side to side so they inhibit air flow through the garage.

I've thought of two possible solutions:

Solution 1: Install insulation boards between the joists and pack them right up snug to the ceiling with no air gaps.

Solution 2: Drill some ventilation holes through the top of each joist (some advice on spacing/how many/how big would be helpful so as not to compromise the strength of the joists!), then install insulation boards in-between the joists leaving a cavity above and finally fit boards underneath the insulation. This should create a flow of air from the air vents at the front of the garage to the air bricks out the back (see my simplified sketch if it helps to visualise this). I might not even bother putting the boarding up if the insulation boards alone will suffice.

Would either of these solutions work? And even if I make the ceiling warmer, would I just be shifting the problem to the walls as they would be the next coldest spot in the garage?

Attachments

• Air vents at the front.jpg
    Air vents at the front.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Joists.jpg
    Joists.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Rear joist.jpg
    Rear joist.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Air bricks at the rear.jpg
    Air bricks at the rear.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Solution 2 sketch.jpg
    Solution 2 sketch.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Is there a particular reason so much condensation is happening in the gargage? What is the garage used for?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I keep my car in there. That would be the main source of moisture in the garage. I wipe the car down if it's wet but there will always be some moisture that remains.

Sponsored Links
I was away for the weekend (garage was empty as I took the car) and came back to find condensation all over the ceiling and on the floor (floor has been painted in floor paint by the way so doesn't just soak down into the concrete).

Is that normal? Would moisture from the car have remained inside the garage all that time or is there an underlying problem that I'm not aware of? Moisture was dripping from the joists!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back