Insulating my loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm interested in insulating my loft to use as storage space/office. I have some really old fibre glass between the joists. Do I simply board over them and insulate the rafters?

If so, what thickness board shall I use and how do I insulate the rafters?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Graham

Sponsored Links
Use loft flooring tongue and grooved chipboard, any shed supplies it, and theres a variety of staple up insulation available, looks like quilted foil on a roll. Tri-iso9 is the dogs parts but extremely expensive, you gets what you pay for in terms of insulation tho.

Thanks for the reply. My concern is about ventalation and something I read about a vapour something or other. Do I just staple the insulation between the rafters, from the top to the bottom and then nail plaster board over the rafters

Thanks
Graham

ventilation via eaves, vapour barrier will be built into good quality insulation which is stapled directly across refters and all joints taped using aluminium tape, you can then batten across rafters to provide extra support for insulation and plasterboard straight onto that. nice plaster skim to top it off - lovely :cool:
If you're going to use as an office get the floor joists upgraded and check with local building control for permission and to check you comply with regs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. What are the eaves? Also, getting the joists upgraded seemed like too much work and money. I don't plan to work up there all day every day, I was just hoping to put a computer table up there with a chair. Maybe a sofa bed so I could maybe use it for people to stop over.

Would I still need the joists looking at for something like that. The house was built in the 1900s

Thanks
Graham

grahamw01 said:
I was just hoping to put a computer table up there with a chair. Maybe a sofa bed so I could maybe use it for people to stop over.
I don't know the size of your joists you have now but most likely need to be bigger and also will need to follow building regulations as it's for your own safely specially if a fire break out below, I'm not trying to frighten you but best to do thing correctly, cheaper in the long run. Pop down to your local BCO for their free advice and they will help you the best way of doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back