Insulating my Victorian suspended floor

Sponsored Links
I did a bit more investigating today and removed a few boards.

My void is only 22cm deep measures from ground to the bottom of the joist. This is less than a foot, is this sufficient?

Yes, provided your air bricks are clear and providing adequate ventilation

In still undecided on celotex or a mineral wool but which ever I use I'm worried there will be insufficient space to run elec and plumbing above the insulation so can I run this beneath the insulation in the sub floor and then up through the insulation? Wound this cause a fire risk as it would be coming through insulation.

If you use 50mm Celotex and set the top of it an inch below the tip of the joists, that should give you enough room. Alternatively I don't see why you shouldn't run it underneath as an alternative, and it won't create a fire risk if it comes up through the insulation - you may be thinking of the effect of burying cable in insulation, which reduces its capacity safely to carry current, but this won't be the case when coming up through 50mm of Celotex.

When I did my ground floor I ended up with a bit of both - new cabling was clipped to the joists above the top of the insulation, but I also left some in place within the underfloor void.

Good luck with lifting the floorboards ;)

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
When I did my ground floor I ended up with a bit of both.

Good luck with lifting the floorboards ;)

Was it worth the hassle?

Yes, I think so. My floor is less cold underfoot and I don't get draughts. It depends on your notion of hassle. I've been doing a major renovation for the past several years, so lifting an entire floor didn't seem that problematic.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back