Insulating outbuilding - Definitive advice before purchase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I am ready to invest considerable cash into lining and insulating an outbuilding, and given the wealth of often contradictory advice as to how best to do this, I am desperately seeking professional advice for confidence in a strategy that's sound for the longer term.

I have an 18ft x 9ft garden outbuilding - typical 20mm T&G, suspended wooden T&G floor recently reinforced with 18mm WBP ply sheet, and T&G apex roof.

The office section is 12ft x 9ft for which I wish to concentrate on lining and insulating the walls and roof. The adjoining 6ft x 9ft shed section will not be insulated.

The walls have vertical studs 60 x 40mm at varying centres, providing 60mm wall cavities around the room. The apex roof has 40 x 40mm supporting studs running lengthways to the building with a truss in the middle.

Although the walls and floor are tanalised, I believe the T&G roof and support timbers aren't.

So, how should I insulate the walls? Fill (almost) the wall cavity sections with 50mm Kingspan/Celotex and panel over the top of an internal vapour barrier laid over the insulation/timbers, or add further horizontal timbers for the insulation/paneling - leaving the existing wall cavities as breather gaps? Some say fill the cavity completely, while others say leave a breather gap to avoid trapping damp. Some say line the exterior walls with breather memberane, and others say it isn't necessary.

Regarding the roof... same considerations.

I would so appreciate some direction from professional bods 'in the know'. I'm much less interested in saving cost (without going stupid) and more interested in general longevity and effectiveness. It's a serious project that I want to get right, but has stagnated until I can establish direction and generally consistent advice.

Many thanks in advance.

FJ

Sponsored Links
Essentially you should just fill with kingspan as proposed and then board over.

You can get 60mm insulation for the walls, or use some 10mm spacers or insulation offcuts to give the 10mm gap on the rear edge against the cladding

Its a timber building so no need to worry about vapour barriers, as it will breathe naturally

Very many thanks Woody for your time and early reply.

Exactly what I was hoping for, and can now place an order for the insulation and materials with confidence :D

Can I assume the same strategy for the roof - given that the roofing panels are covered with roofing felt above?

Thank you again,

FJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back