Insulating log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently waiting on getting my log cabin delivered and want some advice on the best way to insulate it.

Firstly the floor the bearers ar 45 mm x 30mm. What is the best way to insulate this so I can keep the t n g effect floor ?

The roof is t n g, I was thinking of laying a membrane on top of the t n g then 50mm Kingspan. Followed by OSB board then felt or shingle. Is this the best way ?

If I wanted to insulate wall I have read you have to use brackets so the walls move with the natural contraction. Any advice on this ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably not a helpfull answer, but why bother getting a log cabin?

Just do a mini timber frame, and stick some log cladding on, no one will know the difference, much easier cheaper, just as durable and better insulation.

As to insulating the wall of a log cabin, yes it will shrink down, you could create an internal stud wall, fitted to the logs with slotted fixings (you could just cut a slot in vertical studs that the screw can move in, then insulate between these studs.

Not sure how you would insulate under the sill and accommodate for movement, you would just have to leave a gap under the new sill for it to shrink down, maybe just wait until the timbers have dried and shrunk?

Probably not a helpfull answer, but why bother getting a log cabin?

Just do a mini timber frame, and stick some log cladding on, no one will know the difference, much easier cheaper, just as durable and better insulation.

As to insulating the wall of a log cabin, yes it will shrink down, you could create an internal stud wall, fitted to the logs with slotted fixings (you could just cut a slot in vertical studs that the screw can move in, then insulate between these studs.

Not sure how you would insulate under the sill and accommodate for movement, you would just have to leave a gap under the new sill for it to shrink down, maybe just wait until the timbers have dried and shrunk?

Didnt realize about log cladding, What do you think roughly a 5 meter x 3 meter cabin would cost with just single skin of logs on outside ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back