Log cabin shed felt over insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The log cabin has a pent roof with low pitch and 18mm T&G roof boards on which I will lay 50mm standard PIR insulation. My question is, is there any reason to then lay OSB before applying shed felt or could I just felt onto the insulation using 65mm clout nails which go through into the wood underneath? There seems to be conflicting advice: Dunsterhouse website says I should lay waterproof membrane before felting on top. SimplyLogCabins says that I need either OSB or expensive Kingspan TR26 which provides a sanded surface for the felt to apply to. So the question is, can shed felt be laid over polythene or PIR foil or not? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I've seen this done with EPDM, but not shed felt. The risk is the expansion may wear the insulation sheets.

As the insulation is soft, the nails will never be tight, so liable to become detached.

Also, you will end up over hitting them, and making a dip in the insulation. Water will gather here on the felt around the nail and find its way in, ruining the insulation.

It's done with EDPM, as this is just bonded and jointless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back