Insulating pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any need to insulate hot and cold water pipes before laying Celotex floor slab insulation?
Surely we would be double insulating?
Nelliedee

Sponsored Links
if the pipes are sitting ontop of celotex then not really it also depends on how far the hot water has to travel as well if its quite a distance then no great harm in insulating so it stays hot for longer until it reaches the point of delivery

Need a little bit more information to make a fully valid decision

The pipes are running on top on concrete floor slab and 100 mm celotex floor insulation will be going on top of pipes and then a 4'' screed on top of that.
We did a smaller room last year and we did insulate the pipes but I am wondering if we really needed to. I realise that the vertical pipes need insulating but its the ones laying along the floor that I am questioning as the will be buried by the 100mm floor insulation.
Nelliedee

If the hot and cold pipes are close together then heat transfer could occur. i'd insulate the hot.

Sponsored Links
The pipes are running on top on concrete floor slab and 100 mm celotex floor insulation will be going on top of pipes and then a 4'' screed on top of that.
Nelliedee
I wouldn`t want them laying on concrete :eek: for corrosion/abrasion reasons. I`d have 25mm celo- then pipes notched into the remaining 75 mm celo. :idea: laid over them - and a good 150mm between H+C horizontally.

The pipes arnt actually laying against the concrete as they are held in place by plastic clips. I can insulate round the pipes and then lay the celotex..
Thanks for all your help
Nelliedee

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back