Insulating roof between rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 200 year old house with slate roof and no felt, I am about to reslate and put felt, but it has no insulation between joists, if I put EPS (polystyrene)insulation boards between joists, do I push it in contact with the sarking boards or do I need to leave an air space, and the same with inside, if I plasterboard fixing to the joists do I have to leave a space between the plasterboard and insulation or should it be touching

Thanks for any comments

Dougie

Sponsored Links
an air gap is necessary on the cold side of the insulation, i.e. directly above the insulation.

have a look at this site.

Hi Noseall

Thanks for the reply, so I dont need to leave a gap between the insulation and the plasterboard in the inside, only on the cold side towards the sarking boards

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be padantic, but don't use EPS in your roof, use Polyurethane (PUR) Kingspan/Celotex/Isotherm - it's much safer.

EPS is a real fire risk, a lot of it is foamed using air, and once it ignites it cannot be extinguished. In the mid nineties a couple of superstores burnt to the ground in a couple of hours because they used EPS foam filled cladding.

when you re-felt use a breathable type, and set your tiles up on battens (& counter battens) to let the ventilation take place above the felt and then you canfill upto the underside of the sarking boards with insulation.

I was going to use a flame retardant EPS which I believe when it is behind plasterboard has the same firerating as most other materials, but I will take on board what you have said and look at the fire ratings of other materials

For the roof, the my roof is connected to my neighbours on a straight run, it is also in a conservation area, so I can not alter the height of the roof, which I think it would if I use wooden battens, but I am interested in the breathable felt, should I still use this or standard felt

Thanks

Dougie

Personally I'd say the jurys still out despite their widespread acceptance by building control etc. Every now and then a thread pops up on here when some ones got a breathable membrane and still got condensation.

but it seems to me these are usually the people drying their washing indoors, or with no bathroom extractor, or with hot steaming loft tanks.

as woody has pointed out, condensation within domestic dwellings, is a lifestyle issue.

you can have identical houses with the same number of people living within, but registering significantly different levels of condensation.

personally i use nothing but breathable felt/membrane, simply because it is a superior product. i can not remember the last time i used bituminous sarking felt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back