Insulating single skin bricked doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks in advance for your views

I’ve had a brickie come and block up an external doorway. It’s a little scrappy as he had to finish from the outside only. I will fill any gaps in the mortar before proceeding.

I’m planning on using the area as a utility area with a stacked washer and dryer.

I plan on insulating the wall and then drilling through to fit a 40mm waste pipe.

My current plan is to create a stud frame attached to the side walls (not the exposed brick, then add kingspan board and finally vapour barrier plasterboard.

I have a general question - is this ok?

and some specific questions

1 - do I need to damp proof the concrete floor?
2 - do I need to add a weep hole at the base of the brickwork?
3 - do I need to have a 50mm gap between the brickwork and the stud frame?
4 - would it be best to add the insulation board over the stud frame or in between the battens?

Many thanks
Andy

A765C15B-899E-4CAD-9FE9-23EE5DCEA42C.jpeg
984B6996-1A97-40FB-89DD-9B45BA074C0F.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Just curious why don’t you make it double skin with a cavity ? Job done then and don’t need stud work etc
Is the floor above damp
Course?

did the bricky tie it into the wall or put angle brackets in the mortar ?
Best wishes
Jake

Thanks
Already had the insulation and materials to hand so it’s cheaper to use what I had.

The bricky dog toothed with the external wall
Thanks

Why not just use insulated plasterboard bonded straight to the wall, with a few screws for good measure?

Sponsored Links
To insulate it make a stud and board it with insulation in between however personally I’d double skin it, a few thermolite bricks wouldn’t cost a lot to double skin but I’d you do
Single skin then above… I’ve seen a lot of single skin bay windows with damp constructed like you said but just sleep on it, either way hope it turns out well
Jake

Depends if the op has suitable footing/space for another skin... if you do double skin, slap in cavity bats for insulation, this will add 200mm to what’s there already.

Mr Chibs
Good point! Looking at the photo he has but not sure what his plans are,

on a side not I’m not sure if he has contacted BC as it’s a external alteration and may have problems with fire regs?

Perfecto Andy guess it’s down to your preference of what you chose to do :) if you do go for stud maybe consider putting some damp proof tank in on first

The wall but make sure you Finnish pointing the wall first

Yea just anything to stop damp penetrating through as brick absorbs water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back