Insulating single skin wall - detached garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ready to embark on my garage conversion this weekend I have just bought a load of Kingspan boards. I am planning to put the boards against the wall behind timber studs then put 12.5mm plasterboard over the top. However everything I read seems to have a different approach to this so I have a few questions:-

1. Should I attach the Kingspan onto the brickwork? If so what with?
2. One of the Kingspan documents shows a breathable membrane on the brick first - is this necessary?
3. The same doc also shows OSB over the Kingspan before the studwork but do I need this?

A builder friend suggested I just put DPM over the walls and floor then Kingspan and stud in that order, would that be sufficient?

Sponsored Links
Personally i would use kingspan between and across the studs, with foil tape on the joins.

in an ideal world you would fit a breather membrane on the cold side and a vapour barrier the other (warm). Unfortunately you can not access the cold side.

But, foil bonded, kingspan or celotex sheets require the joints foil taping only. this is vapour barrier enough.

Sponsored Links
So should I glue (Gripfill?) the Kingspan to the brickwork first? Is there an acoustic insulation value in fixing the studs a few mm away from the Kingspan and filling the voids with rockwool?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back