Insulating suspended timber floor

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I am insulating the ground floor of our Victorian house, have the floor up now and cleared rubble etc below to leave a nice space for ventilation below the floor joists. My question is should I cover the ground soil with anything like a layer of plastic or should I just rely on the ventilation from the air bricks and the improved space to manage this area under the floor. I am using 80mm PIR with GapoTape between the joists.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
If it's bare earth on the ground then yes, DPM weighted down with gravel (smashed bricks would do) will reduce the amount of water vapour coming up from the ground. You still need air bricks to ventilate the space.

Appreciate the reply, thanks. Using Visqueen (heavy-duty plastic) so I am hoping this fits the bill.

Sponsored Links
Appreciate the reply, thanks. Using Visqueen (heavy-duty plastic) so I am hoping this fits the bill.
Black is better than clear (plants need light and water) but under a floor with a good layer of gravel/rubble you should be ok. Keep at least 150mm between lowest timber and highest rubble.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back