Insulating the Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help with what should be an easy question(s).

We have just purchased a new house, considering we purchased it from a plumber the boiler is in pretty bad shape and was running flat out. The house did not ever seem to get warm neither even after running it all day! The main reason is that there is only 100mm (or used to be) of very old fibre insulation in the loft.

I know that current regs say that it should be 270mm of mineral but a few questions.

1) Is it worth taking the old stuff out and replacing it with 100m of say Knauf Space Blanket?

2) I am planning to board the loft, what other product could I use on top? Many years ago when the regs were 200mm I put cross beams on top of the ceiling beams 100mm x 50mm and just laid another layer of 100mm insulation between them then boarded on top.
3) Space is tight so could I use Celotex R3050 between the rafters to assist in achieving the U value? Not sure here as would I not be just trapping some heat in the loft space but then I guess anything stored would not get to cold in the winter. If I did this do I need a vapour barrier? I know the easiest way to install Celotex is batten the rafters at 50mm depth to maintain the air gap in the rafters.

Any pointers would be great!

Sponsored Links
Remove old insulation
Absolutely not - crazy idea !

Beyond that - and I am speaking outside building regs - going beyond 200 mm fibrewool brings little heat-saving advantage currently.

Would be an excellent idea to instal a vapour barrier between ceiling and loft i.e. a plastic sheet covering all of the ceiling below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back