insulating the shed

Sponsored Links
Without wanting to completely hijack this thread, I have a similar situation and I would like to know if I will get problems...

The outer layer (roof) of my shed is a chipboard-like material, covered in thick roofing felt. I have lined the inside with woolen insulation (the type made from recycled bottles) between the battens and then covered the whole thing with thick polythene sheeting. I have then lined the inside with plasterboard.

Now originally, the top of the shed walls, directly behind the fascias was open by a few inches that allowed airflow right through the shed. This made the shed very cold normally. Where I have lined the inside of the roof, outside you can see where the insulation material now 'blocks up' this void in the roof.

My question is this... will I still have sufficient venting of the roof space through the insulation, thus allowing me to put a soffit in with circular or retangular vents in, or have I effectively created an enclosed space that will now created condensation and begin to rot the roof wood?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

If you have enclosed the roof space then condensation cannot occur as you have no air carrying moisture thru it.

Thanks for the reply, and what you say makes sense.

So, should I go ahead and seal in the gap in the shed with a narrow soffit board, and if I do so, should I put vents in because as you say the insulation is now completely filling the void and therefore there is no airflow in/out of the roofspace?

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Yeah, but if the OP did buy a cheap shed, he'll probably be wanting to replace it again now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back