Insulating Timber dormer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need some advice on insulating the bedroom walls on my house, they are all timber frame, and basically consist of plasterboard, studs, then some sort of memebrane and tiles. There is no insulation at all.

Please see the pictures to see what i mean.

The current depth of the studs is 70mm. My plan is to remove all the exisitng plasterboard, and battern out the studs, and then install 100mm celotex, a vapour barrier and then replasterbaord and skim.

Is this a good idea or is there a better way? Am i going to get condesnation problems in the wall ?

Sponsored Links
regs say leave a 50mm gap from the tiles. I would also use insulated plaster board over the studs celotex PL 4000 comes with vapour barrier.

If i dont leave a gap will this cause an issue with regards condensation, that is my main concern, I have trouble understanding the various dew points etc.

Sponsored Links
I would put 40mm between the studs and insulated plaster board over the studs leaving a 30mm gap, but I would also install over fascia vents and a ventilated ridge plus lap vents, that will sort any condensation issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back