Insulating underneath floorboards and voids

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Alright folks.

I'm pretty keen to make my house warmer. It's an old 1920s style so insulation wasn't good. I've done the loft, went into voids and packed behind the plaster with glass fibre and held it in place against the plaster with strawberry netting. There has been a massive difference.

I'm now keen to use the metre and a bit below my house to attempt the same as I did behind the plaster work under the floorboards.

I am wondering if there will be any problem in doing so?
Is it the same as the loft, just underneath the house?

Any issues with damp or anything? I know to leave wiring uninsulated. There is no damp in the house just now. There are laminate boards above nearly all (80%) of the lower floor that I want to insulate.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
hi ya mate well if you have floor boards at ground level and its an old house then there will be issues because if you look outside your house and you see bricks with holes in and you have to walk up steps to get into your house then its probable that you can have big gap even a meter in depth from the ground there will be mud underneath and there is a chance of damp i can`t say that in all my experience of being a plumber of seeing insulation under this kind of buildings the only thing i can think of is using sheet foam insulation and fixing it to the floorboards before relaying them and thats a major job backtracking and relaying laminate , if anyone can add to this then please do hope this helps

it may depend where you are. In parts of London and around (thick clay) even many older houses are built on concrete raft or oversite. Climb under the floor and have a look.

Good point about the airbricks, fresh airflow under the floor keeps it dry(ish)

Sponsored Links
There are airbricks or rather vents (the house is granite built, in North of Scotland) in the front and back of the house and there is a good airflow underneath. You can feel the wind. The dirt below the house under the foor boards is bone dry.
There is no damp whatsoever.

I've been thinking, I might just leave the flooring below the kitchen ( a chance of water coming down) and do the rest of the house with the strawberry netting and glassfibre/recycled plastic(No itching!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back