Floorboards and pipes underneath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey All

We recently bought a flat that was built in the 90's and had to replace some floorboards in the as they had some water damage from a previous owner. The replacing of the boards was easy enough however when under the floors there was a rather strange design! Right at the bottom there were some floorboards on top of what I presume were joists! On top of that was some insulation similar to old loft insulation covered by plaster board and then had the top floorboards (the damaged ones) on top.

This strikes me as a strange design for a floating floor. However my main concern was that our gas pipe for the boiler and some water pipes for the radiators is piped on top of the base floorboards and underneath the plasterboard and floorboards on top. Obviously this has been the case since the flat was built as I decided to check the bathroom floor to check if it was the same, and it is. I am a little worried that although the pipes have insulation either side of them however they must be carrying some weight from the floor? The weight of the floor is nowhere near the required force to crush or damage the pipe however I am still a little worried.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Simon

Sponsored Links
Which floor is your flat on?
What do you mean by "when under the floors"?
Could you post a photo of the flooring layers?

In commercial jobs with timber joisting you'll sometimes find that the flooring spec calls for a layer or even two of plasterboard to be installed within the floor, below the finish floor. This gives a degree of fire proofing (especially if the boards are pink, fire rated ones) as well as extra sound proofing. The "loft insulation" (felt or mineral wool?) directly atop the joists sounds like sound proofing, too, to reduce low-frequency noise transmission to the flat below when you walk across the floor in hobnail boots

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back