Insulating bare floorboards

I got a cheap one at Argos recently (I had some Nectar points) http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3338690.htm

there are lots at Screwfix and others. Make sure you get one that standard cutters will fit, then you have your choice of brands, price points and special offers. Aldo had cutters on offer at the time.

I don't do much woodwork, so with cheap tools, I go for a local store with a good refund/exchange policy, in case it doesn't last long.

Sponsored Links
I don't do much woodwork, so with cheap tools, I go for a local store with a good refund/exchange policy, in case it doesn't last long.

Same. I've found Screwfix's Erbauer and Titan tools very well designed even for a serious DIY'er, the trouble is they don't provide spares. But mention "Sale of goods act" and they'll give you a refund even if it's years old and out of official warranty, you just need to contact head office directly, not in store where they don't even know what the act is. Do I feel morally challenged by this? Manufacturers need to stand by their products and not produce rubbish and the sale of goods act is supposed to uphold this.

I think Ree is correct......do you think the gains for all of this work - including damage to the floor which will certainly occur - is going to be worth it?
Sure - get rid of draughts if you can, but don't expect the place to be instantly warmer courtesy of the insulation.
John :)

Sponsored Links
From a previous discussion with someone insulating their floor, it was calculated payback time was about 8 years.

Certainly worth it if you intend to stay at the property long term, not so much if you intend to move on.

I've also come across too many examples were draught proofing the floor without upgrading the insulation has lead to condensation and mould problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back