Insulation and slate roofs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, can anyone give me some advice on insulating attics with slate roofs?

I've got a 90 year old terrace with a slate roof. Its got missing tiles or at least I can see daylight through them.

As well as getting my roof fixed I also wanted to insulate the attic. I've come across this company that fixes your roof and insulates your attic by spraying foam to the back of the slate tiles. I understand its a rigid foam system.

I've then been told you shouldn't spray onto slate tiles. Can anyone offer me any advice or suggestions?

much appreciated
J

Sponsored Links
Not sure how well spray foam insulation works but I'll say one thing, if the roof ever has to be stripped off there'll be a very unhappy roofer.

An option that does allow for any future maintainance would be to cut and ft rigid insulation between the rafters, something like Celotex or Kingspan or even at a budget polystyrene, if you do this remember to leave it short of the top of the rafter to allow airflow. Another option would be to fix a multifoil insulation, eg Tri-Iso 10, to the underside of the rafters.

get a price to overhaule your roof ie. fixing the slates pointing that needs sorting.but at 90 years old the roof prob got nail cancer so slates will keep slipping. if this the case why spay it with something when it needs a new roof :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back