Insulation bathroom with tilebacker. Remove plaster or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old house built in 1911 with a north facing bathroom, downstairs off the kitchen. It has two external solid brick walls, with a slate roof above and so in the winter gets freezing, damp, mouldy and rather unpleasant! It has two radiators in there, but doesn't hold the heat due to the solid walls and roof!

So, my plan is to line the bathroom with insulated tile backer board over the walls and floor. Something like marmox http://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/MX10MM or similar, then tile over this.

My question is, should I remove all the old plaster, which is in good condition and then line, or is it ok to put the boarding directly on the plaster already there? I was going to make sure the board is screwed through to the brick work behind the existing plaster so it can support the weight of new tiles better.

The room is currently only half tiles, so I am well aware the plaster may come off when I remove these tiles, so I may ending having to remove the plaster anyway!

Happy for any advice!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back