Bathroom insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm renovating my bathroom and would like some advice. My bathroom is in a small original upstairs extension on the back of a terraced house. Two of the walls are exterior. It's those two walls I need advice for.

As one has a cavity, and the other doesn't, and as I don't really want to put cavity wall insulation in (it's a 1910 house and who knows what the cavity is like), I want to use insulated tile backer board on those two walls. One wall contains a free-standing bath + water pressure overhead shower, the other a toilet+sink.

So my plan is to remove the old plaster and expose all the brick on those walls, install the board, and tile over. I won't be going all the way to the ceiling on one of the walls because it's 10 feet at the high point and would look silly. Are these boards ok to plaster over if not tiled? Using one product would save a bit of money.

There are many backer boards on the market and I'm not sure which to choose. I want a good depth of insulation (at least an inch would be nice and wouldn't take much interior space). Can someone recommend a product? And should such products be bonded directly to the wall with adhesive, or should they be screwed into battens on the wall?

Sponsored Links
I would explore, celotex on the outside facing internal walls, moisture risirstenant plaster board to the ceiling and cement board in the wet areas. Given the cost of backer board, this might work out cheaper. It can all be fixed with some plasterboard foam and a few frame fixers. Depending on the depth of the "plaster" (caution its probably lime, sand and horse hair, make sure you protect yourself). You can go for somewhere between 25mm and 40mm (celotex) will actually make a difference to the U value, where as 10mm foam on a backer board wont.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back