Boat bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I plan to use mosaic travertine tiles to tile my boats' little bathroom and I'm looking for some advice. I've read the sticky, so just a few things.

There are a lot of curves (one of the reasons I'm using mosaic).In addition to one of the walls being curved, I have lots of other curved edges to go around (door frame, shower tray)... any tips?

The floor and one of the walls is ply, so I'm considering using this product: http://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/MXCB.html on the curved wall and a normal, water proof 20mm backer board on the floor and other walls. Any advice on a cheap and good 20mm thick board? Because of the curves, there will inevitably be gaps when I cut the board to fit the floor/ around the door... is there a product suitable for bathrooms I could use to fill these gaps?

Half of one of the walls is steel, and it would be difficult (because the window would become recessed) to put a backer board on it. Is there any way I could tile on to steel, or do I have to use backer board and deal with the recessed window some how?

Thanks in advance,
Will

Sponsored Links
What sort of boat is this & how big? Is it static as in “house boat” or does it move? I have considerable experience of owning & using boats; I’ve also “crewed” many other boats, including some largish up market jobbies. I also have some knowledge of a large & well known boat building company near me & of the manufacturing/production processes involving GRP. I’ve never seen any “real tiles” in the bath/showers on any boats; they all use either one piece moldings or waterproof cladding, although some is made to look like tiles.

Personally, I would not advise using tiles & think you will have two problems;

1. If the boat is capable of being used, you will get flexing & movement of both the tile base & the whole boat structure which will lead to cracking in the grout & ultimately failure of the tile adhesive.

2. Thermal expansion & contraction of the boat structure, particularly with steel; this will again lead to movement/flexing of the tile base which will in all probability be beyond the elasticity of the adhesive & grout &, again, will lead to failure.

richard, i dont disagree - but i i would think if the op uses a good s2 adhesive like granfix ultimate flex or bals equivalent and also adds the flex plus liquid to the flexi grout it will be ok. especially given that mosaics are being used.

richard, i dont disagree - but i i would think if the op uses a good s2 adhesive like granfix ultimate flex or bals equivalent and also adds the flex plus liquid to the flexi grout it will be ok. especially given that mosaics are being used.
Well I'll admit that I’ve never actually tried tiling a boat but have never seen any tiled boats either (not in use anyway). I do know how much the structure is affected by the stresses of even minor river passage & thermal expansion, they can flex & move around rather alarmingly & I’m not even sure an S2 adhesive would cope. If it’s a static house boat then maybe there is a chance but it’s so much different from a normal bath/shower room. I would also be concerned about other factors such as condensation, which is usually a considerable problem on boats, & cold spots; even when modified, there is very little effective insulation on a boat, especially a steel one!

If I were to consider tiling then silicone fixing would be my choice but that’s going to be expensive, both in materials & time.

Sponsored Links
Well I'll admit that I’ve never actually tried tiling a boat but have never seen any tiled boats either (not in use anyway). I do know how much the structure is affected by the stresses of even minor river passage & thermal expansion, they can flex & move around rather alarmingly & I’m not even sure an S2 adhesive would cope. If it’s a static house boat then maybe there is a chance but it’s so much different from a normal bath/shower room. I would also be concerned about other factors such as condensation, which is usually a considerable problem on boats, & cold spots; even when modified, there is very little effective insulation on a boat, especially a steel one!

If I were to consider tiling then silicone fixing would be my choice but that’s going to be expensive, both in materials & time.

The BIG BOATS....build on the Clyde.....Queen Mary ...QE2 ect and many others where all tiled....well their gyms/spa/swimming pools ect....

Mainly terrazzo /mosaics so YES.... You can tile a Boat...
Rich...don't ask me how...lol...am tired and to busy,but ya can look into it...

Tofflo Jackson...where the main guys/company that did most off the work,if my memory serves me right... ;)

OP...
Just give Marmox tech a call and explain,they will give you advice ect...on materials ect.....

Happy sailing....... ;)

The BIG BOATS....build on the Clyde.....Queen Mary ...QE2 ect and many others where all tiled....well their gyms/spa/swimming pools ect....
Yes I agree; but they are SERIOSLY BIG boats & more akin to a floating housing estate. The internal cabin cells won't flex to any appreciable amount &, with the benefit of stabillisers, you won't even feel the boat is moving in even a moderate sea. I’m assuming the OP’s boat is somewhat less grandiose & were talking about something less than 20 mtrs which really isn’t the same, especially if it actually moves!

I'm just relying on gut feel & my experience with boats & tiling but if you have a way, I'd be interseted & I'm sure the OP would be ;)

Thanks for the responses... It's a 17.5mx3m dutch barge. I've lived on a narrow boat for the last year which has a bathroom which has a tiled area around the bath/shower (it's a tiny bath before you ask!) with 10x10 ceramic tiles which I think were put up around 10 years ago and there doesn't seem to be any problem with them, a few of my floating neighbours also have tiled bathrooms so I think it will be OK.
The boat will move about half a mile a month to fill up water, otherwise it'll be static (no open seas!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back