Insulating brick wall in bathroom for tiling...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I have taken the two exterior cavity walls of what will be the bathroom back to brick. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to go about insulating/boarding these in preparation for tiling. I can afford to lose around 50mm on each of the walls to accommodate insulation+board.

In the corner where these walls meet there will be a quadrant shower so I imagine waterproofing will have to be of high importance in this area.

Thankyou, any feedback is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Baton wall and insulate with 40mm Celotex , add 12mm cement board to any areas which will get wet and plasterboard to other.Or line shower area with 11mm shower panel [laminate on ply].

Baton wall and insulate with 40mm Celotex , add 12mm cement board to any areas which will get wet and plasterboard to other.Or line shower area with 11mm shower panel [laminate on ply].

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated, would I baton and apply the celotex in-between the batons or over the top of them. Would treated 2x2 be ok.

I wonder because if it's in-between there will be areas without insulation due to the baton. And if over the top it will leave voids behind.

Also I assume you mean the plasterboard with vapour barrier and not bog standard PB.

Thankyou again very much.

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone, quick update.

Finally got round to battening the wall with 2x2 (50mm x 50mm)

gMrpjFQ.jpg

Would it be best to use foiled backed insulation inbetween the battens and then foam + foil tape all the gaps and over the battens?.

I was wondering with the battens being 50mm should I use 50mm, 45mm or 40mm insulation as the wall is a little rough and could leave less than 50mm depth in some areas, or would 50mm give at all and fit into a 45mm gap?

I'm going to finish with Hardiebacker in the area of the shower quadrant and MR plasterboard on rest of the walls, probably tank the lot aswell. The ceiling will be regular plasterboard, skimmed and painted, downlighters installed.

For the stud walls I'm thinking acoustic insulation slabs. Will the stud walls and ceiling require a VCL?

Does this all sound ok?

As always any feedback is much appreciated.

Update...

Decided to go with 45mm Celotex for between the battens, should I push it right back to the wall (in some areas this leaves roughly 2 - 5mm gap at the front set back from the battens) or should I just push it so far that it is in line with the battens (making the 2 - 5mm gap behind).

Furthermore should I apply something to the wall first to stick the celotex to the wall (thus filling any gaps behind), I have a new foam gun at the ready.

Thanks

Another update, got the celotex fitted, foamed and taped.

If anyone can spot any issues please let me know, thanks.

aZdzLWI.jpg

9gChA3a.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back