Tiling a solid brick wall, adding battens and insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I'm a newbie to the site, and seeking some assistance.
Have searched through the forum, but can't find a previous post that matches with my requirement.

Am tiling a whole wall in the lounge of my house (kind of retro 60s style), the area is 4m x 2.5m. It's a solid external brick wall, no cavity, the plaster was rubbish, so has now all been removed back to nice clean bare brick.
It's a 30s house, and although very solid the internal walls a far from straight. I also want to add insulation while I am at it. Am planning on using thermoline plasterboard on the other external walls (which will then be skimmed).

I was looking for a bit of guidance, on the best way to prepare the main feature wall for tiling. My current thinking, is to effectively build a 2x2 stud frame (fixed to the floor and wall), to get it all super straight and allow insulation to be popped in, although I believe I also need a vapour barrier behind the insulation. Then top it off, with 12mm Hardiebacker ready for tiling.

Does this sound like a good plan, or am I missing a trick?
Also, any recommendations on the type of insulation to use, if I do go ahead with this plan.

I am ok about the 2" loss of room space (plus 12mm hardiebacker), as i am prepared to do this anyway for insulation.

Thank you in advance.
Michael

Sponsored Links
After more searching, I just found out about Marmox Insulated boards.
I think I should revise my plans, and use Marmox boards (dot and dab plus marmox fixings), as this would give me the insulation, vapour control, and tile fixing all in one .... and remove the need for the stud frame altogether. Do you agree this would be a better route?

Thank you in advance.
Michael

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back