12.5mm Plasterboard and 12mm Hardiebacker on same wall (bathroom)?....

So tank it and tank it right. Then the substrate doesn't matter.

Is there any particular reason why you use ordinary plasterboard and not plywood on the wall? I ask as I have contacted a number of bathroom installers and a couple said they put up plywood and tank this, though none have said they put up plasterboard and tank.

Perhaps this is just cost/time related.

Sponsored Links
Is there any particular reason why you use ordinary plasterboard and not plywood on the wall?

If the plasterboard that is there is in good condition then the only additional cost is the tanking. If the plasterboard is in need of replacement then I use the most cost effective material to replace it with. Plasterboard. There is no reason not to use ply. It's just more expensive and more time consuming to work with. I'm not sure what advantages you perceive ply to have as a substrate as opposed to plasterboard?

The point I am trying to get across is that if the tanking is doing its job then the substrate is irrelevant. Whatever the substrate you want it to remain dry.

I'm not sure what advantages you perceive ply to have as a substrate as opposed to plasterboard?
I don't perceive any advantage. I'd just telephoned a few bathroom installers to ask what they do, and tanked plywood seemed to be a popular method.

Sponsored Links
So long as they're tanking whatever they're using you'll be fine.
And do you think tanking (over any substrate) is better than using an overlap wall matting system such as Homelux wall matting (applied with a cement-based adhesive)?

Last edited:
And do you thinking tanking (over any substrate) is better than using an overlap wall matting system such as Homelux wall matting (applied with a cement-based adhesive)?

Not a product I've used. Homelux do state that when correctly installed it is totally waterproof so I see no reason not to use it.

The reason I favour the mapei kit is that it's so quick and easy. Sort your corners out and just paint it on. No mixing and spreading tile adhesive and sticking big bits of stuff to walls.

The reason I favour the mapei kit is that it's so quick and easy. Sort your corners out and just paint it on. No mixing and spreading tile adhesive and sticking big bits of stuff to walls.

I was speaking with a bathroom installer today and he said he prefers to use a matting (similar to Homelux) as it's quicker to use than a paint-on tanking product.

He said paint-on tanking products require more than one coat, and whilst you're waiting on drying between coats obviously tiling cannot commence.

Ive got to agree with every word B17NNS says, I tank using the matting rather than the paint on stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back