Hardiebacker installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I'm installing hardiebacker 12mm boards onto masonry wall and timber studwork around a bath.

Just have a few basic questions.

1) For the masonry walls I plan to fix the hardiebacker with Hardie foam adhesive and a few screws into rawl plugs set into the masonry.
Question - What is best way to fix the screws into the masonry wall?
Do you fix the hardiebacker with adhesive first?
then drill holes into the hardiebacker big enough to fit the rawl plugs and screws?
This would make the holes in the hardiebacker too big?

2) When I apply the jointing tape, do I use any tile adhesive to skim a thin layer between the board joints and over the jointing tape?

What product do you use for this? Mortar based or what?

3) for the rest of the walls and ceiling in the bathroom I was going to use british gypsum moisture board. Is this OK - or should I use hardibacker throughout?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am planning to do similar soon. There's a HardieBacker video - they use adhesive to hold the boards in place and then screw in. The screw heads should be a bigger than the holes so will hold it, or pop some washers on maybe?

OP,
why not search for "fixing backer board" on this tile forum?

always use cementitious powder adhesive.

Just watched the video.

Seems like special washers not needed and that it's ok to leave the screw head proud of the board??

The video doesn't say anything about:
- what type of screws to use. stainless steel? zinc?
- using hardiefoam rather than tile adhesive if the masonry is really out
- what type of 'thinset' to use in and over the taped joints.

I've installed Wedi boards before using the special washers and screws into timber, then scrimming over the washers and tape with the wedi adhesive.
Seemed like a really waterproof system compared to hardiebacker.

Sponsored Links
OP,
why not search for "fixing backer board" on this tile forum?

always use cementitious powder adhesive.
Hi, sorry to interject. Can I use Mapei MapeGrip D2 on cement boards? Thanks.

yes, just so long as its used inside a property. ie it for internal not external use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back