Hardiebacker/backer board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to redo my bathroom floor but my question is with hardiebacker can I apply the 6mm sheets straight onto my existing floorboards with screw fixings?

Or do I need ply under the hardiebacker, with a thinset?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've often applied 12mm b/b to floors without any prior underlayment except the original sub-floor - 6mm i dont know. Some Mfr's In's require the b/b to be glued with thin set and screwed.

I've been told by a ruler to replace my old school floor boards with new 18mm moisture resistant T&G, the green stuff from the likes of wickes.

Pit noggins in at various points in my joists and then apply the new floorboards glued and screwed. That will be solid enough to tile straight on top of, just primer it.

Sponsored Links
Lol bloody autocorrect *tiler

I'd rather do it right and it doesn't sound that difficult so I'll go the route he suggested. Actually works out fairly cheap aswell.

just a word of warning on your plan - the green T&G isn't suitable. nothing sticks to it as the green stuff is actually a wax like coating.

Using 6mm no more ply\hardie over the top is the recommended way. no more ply specify using a grab adhesive and screws to fix it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back