Fitting Hardiebacker to uneven Breezeblock wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi this is our first DIY job and we are refitting our ensuite shower room.

Due to the weight of our chosen tiles we have been advised to replace existing plasterboard with Hardiebacker, which we've bought. We are only replacing the tiled walls within the shower enclosure itself, however when we removed existing plasterboard we found that it was dot and dabbed directly to breezeblock and not studwork on 2 of the 3 walls.

Having looked on the hardiebacker website it says that you need to glue and secure the boards with self embedding masonry anchors, however I cannot seem to locate any of these so called masonry anchors, especially ones that are self embedding.

Can anyone give me some advice on where we can source these anchors and also if there is an easier way of securing Hardiebacker to breezeblock.

Your urgent help us greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Replacing the plasterboard is a very good move. I use Aquapanel rather than Hardibacker (it’s cheaper) but both are cement based backer boards & the following method should be OK.

I dot & dab Aquapanel boards to the wall with ordinary plasterboard adhesive (it only serves as a temporary fix) on a grid spacing of 200mm x 300mm, level & leave to set overnight. I then mechanically fix to the wall using through (frame) fixings but you must fix through the adhesive dabs or you’ll crack the boards when you tighten the fixings; drilling 3mm pilot holes on the grid in the board before you fix it helps to get everything in the right place.

Tape the board joints & fill with tile adhesive immediately before you tile. Avoid board joins coinciding with the tile grout lines if at all possible.

Many thanks Karis for your reply.

Just to clarify what is plasterboard adhesive exactly, does it come ready mixed or is it something you need to make up yourself, if so what are the components.

Also when you say secure with through (frame) fixings, what are these exactly and where is the best place to get these from.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Just to clarify what is plasterboard adhesive exactly,
http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...roc_accessories/gyproc_dri-wall_adhesive.aspx

through (frame) fixings, what are these exactly and where is the best place to get these from.
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...2150&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories<{9372015}/categories<{9372044}/categories<{9372210}/specificationsProductType=wall_plugs/specificationsSpecificProductType=plugs___screws&ecamp=aff-p9-awin-001

Sponsored Links
Once again thanks for your reply.

Can I just clarify that these screws and plugs can be installed through the hardiebacker after it has been stuck to the wall with plasterboard adhesive. There is no need to predrill holes in the breezeblock prior to dot and dabbing the boards to the wall?

Many thanks

Can I just clarify that these screws and plugs can be installed through the hardiebacker after it has been stuck to the wall with plasterboard adhesive.
Yes.

There is no need to predrill holes in the breezeblock prior to dot and dabbing the boards to the wall?
No; but read my post about the need to fix through the adhesive & drilling 3mm pilot holes in the boards before fixing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back