WP1 Tanking or Hardiebacker for tiling existing plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of replacing my standalone bath with a normal bath so that we can shower. The bathrom just has painted plasterboard walls which I know are no good to tile straight onto as water could get behind and cause them to come off.

The tiles have already been purchased for the bathroom, nothing too heavy, just bog standard ceramic rectangular tiles.

I did think about using hardiebacker and fixing it to the existing wall before tiling on that, but then got reading about wp1 tanking kits. If I were to use the wp1 kit would this then enable me to tile straight onto it safe in the knowledge that water won't cause the tiles to pop off later on?

Using the hardiebacker seems overkill compaired to using the wp1 kit but I want to make sure I get it right. The shower will be powered by the bath taps and not a power shower.

Sponsored Links
I am in the process of replacing my standalone bath with a normal bath so that we can shower. The bathrom just has painted plasterboard walls which I know are no good to tile straight onto as water could get behind and cause them to come off.

The tiles have already been purchased for the bathroom, nothing too heavy, just bog standard ceramic rectangular tiles.

I did think about using hardiebacker and fixing it to the existing wall before tiling on that, but then got reading about wp1 tanking kits. If I were to use the wp1 kit would this then enable me to tile straight onto it safe in the knowledge that water won't cause the tiles to pop off later on?

Using the hardiebacker seems overkill compaired to using the wp1 kit but I want to make sure I get it right. The shower will be powered by the bath taps and not a power shower.

wp1 kit would be fine mate just make sure you don't use the tubbed adhesive use a good quality trade bagged adhesive

cheers for the reply. I wouldn't use tubbed adhesive but any recommendations for the bagged adhesive?

i use ultra but there are loads of good ones mapei (not the one from b&q) bal, webber or even topps tiles own brand stuff is made by palace and is not too bad if you are grouting in white try and use a white adhesive.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice. I presume there will be no problems in applying the WP1 to painted plasterboard?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back