Aquapanel, Hardiebacker or BAL WP1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, bit new to this so bear with me....

I am looking to build false wall and tile over in my bathroom. The two areas in particular are the end of the bath/shower and an alcove next to the washbasin.

I have read recommendations for Aquapanel, Hardiebacker or BAL WP1 and know to steer clear of plywood or 'normal' plasterboard.

Can someone explain the pro's and cons of Aquapanel, Hardiebacker or BAL WP1 and which would be most appropriate for my bathroom.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your right to steer totally clear of ply even with tanking. Hardi & Aquapanel are both cement boards with a similar spec so not much between them really; I mainly use Aquapanel. Unless it’s a wet room or a really high pressure shower, you don’t really need WP1 tanking over cement board but if you intend using plasterboard, it’s essential in a wet area; PB should also be Moisture Resistant, not standard wall board. It’ fine to use MR PB in dry areas (washbasin & elsewhere) but using a waterproof tile backer board is a much better option in wet areas & cost is not really much different once you factor in the tanking. Only use 12.5mm boards & when boarding out, try to ensure board joints & tile grout lines won’t coincide.

Tiling isn’t rocket science but there are still many things that can catch you out. With walls, you need to consider tile weights, prep & materials & suspended timber floors need special consideration. I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any work or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. It’s also important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back