Hardiebacker, Aquapanel or plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Am installing 900 shower cubicle (this is new not a replacement) as part of a bathroom refurb.

Will be in a corner with one wall being existing plaster on block with the other wall being studwork over existing wall and stud infilled door - see pic below (cubicle will be in corner where orange buckets are).

Im intending to bring the whole of the wall with the door out a little with stud just enough to allow the shower head plumbing to go behind it (as i wouldnt want to cut into the lintel above the door).

My question is whether to use hardiebacker, aquapanel or just plasterboard it as there is a big difference in price (aquapanel seems almost 3x hardiebacker). It would be my intention to apply a paint on tanking to both walls of the cubicle before tiling). Is there any big difference between hardiebacker or aquapanel ?

Thanks for your ongoing contributions.

Sponsored Links
you don't have to tank aqua panel, same as instructions for hardie backer, personally I would use hardie backerboard and still tank the area, just to be safe. What size and weight tiles are you using ? I am only asking as you say one wall is skimmed,

I wouldn't even consider using plasterboard in a shower enclosure, its just inviting trouble down the line, honestly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back