Aquapanel Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to use Aquapanel around shower cubicle and above bath (Aquapanel on timber stud wall, and finished surface will be tiles). I am in two minds about the best way to do Aquapanel joints. Knauf produces two leaflets with two different guidances: one says to leave a 3mm gap then fill with tile adhesive and bed in tape; the other stresses the importance of cleaning board edges as you go, applying special aquapanel joint adhesive then butting up close, thereby squeezing out adhesive, and trimming off excess the day after when it has cured and expanded.

The latter, using the joint adhesive, sounds better to me, but when I rang their tech support, they were non-commital, if anything favouring the 3mm gap plus tile adhesive method.

Anybody have experience of both? Any recommendations?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forget the overpriced, special "Aquapanel joint adhesive" stuff; fit the panels with a small gap, mix up a little tile adhesive, fill & then reinforce tape the joints & then tile away. Some folks prefer to use silicone sealer between the joint (similar to the Aquapanel joint adhesive me thinks) but I don’t like the idea of using silicone under tile adhesive. Make sure you have a stud or intermediate noggin under the board joints.

Thanks for that Richard.

Do you bed the reinforcing tape into tile adhesive on the surface of the boards? Any particular type of tile adhesive that should be used -- a recommended brand/type would be great if you can.

Finally -- what do you use at corners between walls and wall to floor join? (In my case floor is WBP ply.)

Regards

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back