Shower waterproofing kit - Wall and tray joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a new shower and tray prior to tiling the bathroom; the shower area has walls on 3 sides.

The old tiling started leaking and ruined the existing plaster board :cry: so I have replaced this with aqua panel on all sides of the shower. I'm now in the process of using the Dunlop waterproofing kit for extra peace of mind.

The trouble is the shower area is about 16mm larger than it should be so I've got a gap down either side of the shower tray.

This is not a problem for tiling as it will cover the gap, but when applying the tape to the joints from the waterproofing kit I need to overlap the wall joint to the shower tray. Should I fill the gap in down the side of the tray first, maybe using silicon? I'm not sure how strong the tape will be once sealed and want to avoid the tape being pierced during tiling where it has no support underneath.

The other alternative I've considered is one of the many shower seals that could be used to bridge the gap but I’d prefer to avoid this route if possible.

One other question regarding the tiling. I'm going be tiling over the joints between the new aquapanel and existing plaster board (outside of the shower area) but as the plasterboard has already been skimmed it is a couple of mm thicker than the aquapanel. Will this slight step cause a problem when tiling? Just trying to avoid having to use excessive amounts of adhesive with tiles in shower area to line up with those outside of it.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I'm fitting a new shower and tray prior to tiling the bathroom; the shower area has walls on 3 sides.

The old tiling started leaking and ruined the existing plaster board :cry: so I have replaced this with aqua panel on all sides of the shower. I'm now in the process of using the Dunlop waterproofing kit for extra peace of mind.

The trouble is the shower area is about 16mm larger than it should be so I've got a gap down either side of the shower tray.

This is not a problem for tiling as it will cover the gap, but when applying the tape to the joints from the waterproofing kit I need to overlap the wall joint to the shower tray. Should I fill the gap in down the side of the tray first, maybe using silicon?
YES.

I'm not sure how strong the tape will be once sealed and want to avoid the tape being pierced during tiling where it has no support underneath.
YOU WILL APPLY A THINBED ADDY TO WALLS PROIR TO MEMBRANE.

The other alternative I've considered is one of the many shower seals that could be used to bridge the gap but I’d prefer to avoid this route if possible.
UGLY AS HELL LOOKING.

One other question regarding the tiling. I'm going be tiling over the joints between the new aquapanel and existing plaster board (outside of the shower area) but as the plasterboard has already been skimmed it is a couple of mm thicker than the aquapanel. Will this slight step cause a problem when tiling?

NO THE ADDY WILL COVER THIS.USE A LARGE FORMAT TROWEL...8-12MM

Just trying to avoid having to use excessive amounts of adhesive with tiles in shower area to line up with those outside of it.

Thanks for your help,

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back