Fitting a shower tray and tiling the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a 800mm shower tray in a 862mm wide cubicle. This leaves a gap of 31mm on each side that I will have to fill in to allow the tiles to overlap the shower tray. The existing wall is plastered over plaster board on a timber frame.Help please on the best way to fill this gap and how far over the edge of the shower tray should the tiles go?
Thank you for any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
I'm not exactly sure of your stud wall circumstance, but if it's just a short stud wall, I recommend as follows:

Rip out the existing plasterboard on one side.
Fix another timber frame to the existing one.
Screw 12mm plasterboard to the new frame.
Fit the tray.
Tank the walls and tile.

Obviously you need to make sure that the frame you add is just the right depth so that when you fit the plasterboard the tray will be a snug fit.

Thank you Gcol. I think I have caused confusion useing the word cubicle.
The shower room is long and narrow with the shower at one end so the wall continues past the shower location. Not sure if I would be capable to remove the plastered wall as you advise without causing a lot more damage. Is there any way I could build out on the existing wall?

. Is there any way I could build out on the existing wall?

As long as you can find the studs in the wall and fix battens on to them using long screws and some grab adhesive.Your battens will only need to be 50mm plus the plasterboard giving you 62.5mm

Sponsored Links
Thank you Lancenotalot. Have found two studs with a bradawl but will fix up four,two with plugs.
I read here that you can tile directly on to plasterboard but that was for behind a toilet. Would it also be okay for a shower?

Thank you all for your help. Have found on here what you mean by a tanking product. Tomorrow I will be busy busy busy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back