12.5mm Plasterboard and 12mm Hardiebacker on same wall (bathroom)?....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, would it be ok to use 12mm hardiebacker for the area behind a quadrant shower and then 12.5mm plasterboard for the rest of the same wall? the whole room will be tiled.

Any feedback is much appreciated, thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldn't bother with hardi. Just regular plasterboard and tank the wet area. You want waterproof not water resistant.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/78484?_requestid=210153

ok so its going to cost the OP more money doing it your way, when all he needs to do is use hardi backer board in the shower, then no need for a tanking system at all.

Simple answer is yes, hardie in the quadrant and plasterboard for the rest of the wall

Sponsored Links
I'd always tank it whether using plasterboard or cement board - hairline grout cracks or silicone failure will leak regardless what board is used. But if tanked it protects against that. Keen to know your thoughts though

hardie isn't waterproof. It just doesn't degrade when wet. Tank it. Id choose waterproof over water resistant in a shower every time.

12 years and you say hardie board isn't waterproof ?
It's moisture resistant. It's not waterproof. I'm sure you do cracking work fella, I'm not here to criticise your methods of working. But for an extra £60 on an install (less the expense of the cement board so negligible) I'd rather offer my clients a completely waterproof shower area/wet room.

• Thanks
Reactions: DH6
I would use hardi , but shower panels, have seen too many tiled showers fail, tanked or not.

Think you might want to take a second read of that link:
upload_2017-8-30_10-47-55.png

Moisture resistant is not water proof! Ok so you could argue that there may not be quite as much moisture ingress from a standard shower cubicle as there would be in a wet-room (only difference being water hits the floor rather than a quadrant tray), but why risk it? What if there is a grout or sealant failure? what if theres a leak? It should raise question marks when you read things like this in Hardie UK's very own instructions:
upload_2017-8-30_11-13-5.png

I'm 100% with B17NNS on this one. Hardie needs tanking to be completely waterproof. If you just want water resistant in a shower (not advisable), use hardie or aquapanel. Even the 12mm boards can only retain so much moisture before it pi***s through the back, out the bottom and on to some poor fella's head that is sitting in his lounge below, catching up on Eastenders and try to have his sausage and mash in peace (and yes I have heard of this happening..... except it was Casualty and Fish and Chips, lol). If you want waterproof, use marmox, wedi or schluter kerdi boards with taped joints and fixings. Failing that use whatever you like, such as plasterboard or cement boards but tank the absolute living hell out of it.

If you only wanna do it once, do it right. Hardie backer boards have their place in tiling, but my opinion is that without tanking, a wet area is not it. Marmox if far better suited.

I don't want to appear to be having a go or digging at anyones time served experience, but i'd always pick peace of mind over possible risk any day of the week..... (apart from Fridays when I like to let my hair down :))

Last edited:
thanks for that mate, makes for decent reading, when speaking to the techs at James Hardie a few years ago I was informed that for domestic showers there is no need for any tanking system. Obviously they have updated there information, I stand corrected, B17nns I owe you an apology mate, Sorry. To the OP, sorry for giving you slightly misleading information ( I say slightly, because in all the years I have used hardie boards I have never had a problem with water ingress / leakage etc ) but I do admit to standing corrected. Cheers Paul C ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back